Sunday, March 19, 2006

some tv for the weekend

Decided I needed some leisure, and so watched a fair bit of TV today. But it was what would have been considered educational TV by my parents when I was younger, so that’s ok. (:

Yep, like the Commonwealth Games! I think I enjoy watching sports much more than actually doing any. They were showing events I liked too, like synchronised swimming (jaw-dropped in amazement at their precision and the way they can keep their toes curled when their legs are dancing out of water- I tried and got a foot cramp immediately), like netball (which I actually know the rules for, and the way the girls move across court- just so much athleticism but combined with such grace, like squash (which triggered off memories of cheering for the rg and hc teams at Kallang), like the marathon (won by the 38 yr old Australian mother of two who doesn’t look like her stomach skin has ever been stretched!) The Melbourne crowd is truly quite amazing, the whole stadium was filled and buying tickets just to watch the start and end of a 2.5 hr long marathon.

What else: I also caught the interview they did with the dashing young men who are England's star swimmers. Oh and then of course, the BBC team checked out Melbourne cafes, including, no kidding, a dog-café. Yeah, to semi-quote the presenter, you sip cappuccino while doggy-dearest laps at pup-puccino! ahaha. And then the amazing café where the owner creates art in the foam of each cup of coffee with the tip of the spoon handle, and has pictures of women’s faces floating on coffee framed up around his café.

Then there was Planet Earth, which I shall make regular TV fare from this week on. (: Really miss watching these nature documentary sorts. Anyway today they featured freshwater, and traced the path it takes from mountaintop to lake or sea, plus all the living things along the way. (:

I have fallen in love with otters! Why didn’t anyone tell me how adorable (and cartoon) these cuties are before? They climb out of the water on to the banks to wriggle around in the sand on their backs, together, because back-rubbing is a social activity for them. And the way they stand up on their hind-feet and make squeaky noises! Ok but the best has to be all these little ottery things ganging up to harass grumpy Mr Alligator, strength in numbers they seemed to think, though watching them I really feared the alligator would just get mad and finish one off in a snap!

Ok. Now, TV's off and I'm online. sigh. There seems to be problem with my laptop too, keeps re-starting itself for no good reason. All my firefox bookmarks have disappeared! I hope nothing else does before I have a chance to back it all up!!

No comments: