Sunday, February 19, 2006

exam

The most crucial exam of all, and one I neglect most, is the examination of self. "Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves." 2 Corinthians 13:5

A moden heresy, a common half-truth, said Rico Tice this morning, is: "Lord my life's so empty, fill me." as opposed to the real gospel, the full truth of "Lord I'm full of sin, my life's an offence to you, rescue me." The first being a wanting-more-and-more and the second being a get-down-on-knees-and-plead cry of brokeness and humility. And sometimes it's indeed too easy to lose sight of that, the fact that we're rebels more often than victims in this fallen world, and that we actually NEED forgiveness, NEED salvation.

--

Randomness:
1. Heinz's beef broth in a can is good with toast.
2. I clicked on Minesweeper just now. Minesweeper, that silent lonely game that I played to while away many nights last winter. So lousy at it now, can't get anywhere near those high scores I registered long ago.
3. It is so cold in my room. Radiator and fan heater are on and I've just pulled on my sweater.
4. What I'm not meant to know, I'm better off not knowing, really. Why do I never learn my lesson?
5. Nothing moves me the way a sanctuary echoing with magnificent orchestral music and the beautiful voices of people in all colours, shapes and sizes, just worshipping, can.

--

Before the throne of God above
I have a strong, a perfect plea:
a great High Priest, whose name is Love,
who ever lives and pleads for me.
My name is written on His hands,
my name is hidden in His heart;
I know that while in heaven He stands
no power can force me to depart,
no power can force me to depart.

No comments: