Tuesday, January 24, 2006

tv

The other day, yesterday I think, I watched this 'child of our time' episode on BBC, on sibling relationships. Most poignant actually, especially the pair of twins with number one always putting number two first, and number two always looking elsewhere for a best friend but turning to number one in the playground on the first day of school. And that other pair of brothers who fought and competed over everything, but when separated couldn't hide that they loved each other. "Don't tell William this, but I miss him."

Wondered then about my sisters and I. How might our childhood have looked like from behind a camera lens? Mostly I wondered about the one closest in age to me, three years, which would probably have been the largest age gap among the kids on the programme.

One thing I know for sure, that segment where they gave one kid a huge chocolate cookie and the other a tiny pretzel, to test if they would share? I think almost 100% we would have exactly half a cookie and half a pretzel each!

Probably not from pure sisterly affection though, there's always been a perpetual calculativeness that led to everything from number of M&Ms, fishballs, fried batter prawns or whatever being fairly counted out... which always got my mother so agitated. But, I always thought 孔融让利, and/or 大的让小的 was somewhat pointless because you couldn't have both at once right, either one of us had to be "bad" and willingly receive. So how? So we're just smart problem solvers! heh.

I really should be a better sister.

--
Monday 8pm seems to be C4's religious controversies slot, last week "Root of Evil, this week "Gay Muslims", next week "Gay Vicars". And, "Balderdash and Piffle" is quite fun (they research the root of words, the word "set" has a dictionary entry as long as a full-length novel!!).

Argh I know, I watch too much TV for my own good.

No comments: