Wednesday, December 21, 2005

phlegmatic?!

This is too funny for me not to keep.

You Have a Phlegmatic Temperament

Mild mannered and laid back, you take life at a slow pace. You are very consistent - both in motions and actions. You tend to absorb set backs easily. You are cool and collected.
It is difficult to offend you. You can remain composed and unemotional. You are a great friend and lover. You don't demand much of others. While you are quiet, you have a subtle wit that your friends know well.
At your worst, you are lazy and unwilling to work at anything.You often get stuck in a rut, without aspirations or dreams. You can get too dependent on others, setting yourself up for abandonment.

Now let's look at dictionary.com definitions for

phlegm (flm) n.
  1. Thick, sticky, stringy mucus secreted by the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract, as during a cold or other respiratory infection.
  2. One of the four humors of ancient and medieval physiology, thought to cause sluggishness, apathy, and evenness of temper.
  3. Sluggishness of temperament.
  4. Calm self-possession; equanimity.
phleg·mat·ic (flg-mtk) or phleg·mat·i·cal (--kl) adj.
  1. Of or relating to phlegm.
  2. Having or suggesting a calm, sluggish temperament; unemotional.
And this whole thing is funny because one, I never knew what phlegmatic really meant after all these years! If I ever read a sentence describing "a phlegmatic man" I most certainly would have assumed him to be phlegmatic in the coughy phlegmy way. Ignorance!

Two, as far as I know I'm not and have never been a girl with a phlegmatic disposition. If anything I would say I'm rather the opposite, and the only way phlegm can be applied to me right now is in definition no.1's "thick, sticky, stringy mucus". Yuuuuck.

I still think phlegm is one of the grossest words ever. Sorry everyone for the horribly repetitive use of the word here.
p.s. temperament was spelt wrongly in the quiz results. ha! don't know how that makes my ignorance of 'phlegmatic' any less terrible, but it does ok.

No comments: