Wednesday, November 30, 2005

advent

Anyway, last Sunday was also Advent Sunday. And I have to admit that I never knew actually knew what Advent was till last Sunday. Advent observance just sounded like alot of rituals in observance of an old boring liturgical season I know next to nothing about.

But if, as I found out during Sunday's service, Advent is about looking towards the glorious second coming of Christ as much as it is a season of preparation to remember Jesus' birthday.. then how can that not be relevant? If you like, read more about Advent
here.

And so November, my month (how dare I lay claim to such a month but I can't help it!), has passed by again. Tomorrow I shall open the first little door on the advent calendar I bought in that supermarket in Vienna. It's time to start carolling.

O come, O come, Emmanuel

and ransom captive Israel

who mourns in lonely exile here

until the son of God draws near.


Rejoice, rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to you, O Israel.


O come bright Daybreak, come and cheer
our spirits by your advent here;

dispel the long night's lingering gloom

and pierce the shadows of the tomb.


Rejoice, rejoice! Emmanuel shall come to you, O Israel.

____

(It is no coincidence that so many of my entries here are on Wednesdays i.e. day before all economics coursework is due week after week. :P)

No comments: